Would you like to be part of the community, meet new people and be part of a small team working outside?
We’re looking for a market manager to join our Sunday operations team, setting up the market, ensuring it runs smoothly and being the face of the Traders & Residents Association on a Sunday.
This is a great opportunity to meet new people, spend the day among traders (they’re a friendly bunch) and interact with the businesses and customers of Chatsworth Road. It’s also a chance to find out more about running a street market, social media and the other activities that go into supporting the market traders, shop owners and getting customers to visit the market.
Find out more below.
Chatsworth Road market has been running for almost four years. It takes place every Sunday with trading from 11am to 4pm.
We have a vacancy for a market manager to work two to three Sundays per month. Hours are 08:00am to 6:00pm on Sundays (with an hour for lunch) plus an hour or so of admin during the week.
Days: Sunday plus weekday admin
Hours: 8am to 6pm – one hour for lunch (x10 hours per week paid)
Salary: £9.15 per hour (London Living Wage reviewed annually in November) paid monthly by bank transfer
- Setting-up stalls (with team) and ensuring structures are safe and secure. This includes lifting metal frames and gazebos, some of which can be heavy.
- Helping market traders with queries about their location, type of stall or other general issues
- Offering advice to traders on best practice
- Keeping the market safe throughout the trading day and adapting quickly to changes in the weather
- Ensuring there is minimum disruption to shops and residents during the set-up, operation and breakdown of the market
- Act as a contact for market traders on the day and link between the shops, police and other organisations
- Complete the market plan (in the form of a PowerPoint template) and send to Hackney Council and traders before Friday each week
- Update trading status of stallholders and report on issues each week in the form of a short report (in the form of a Word template) which is completed every Sunday evening / Monday morning
- Be responsible for the market phone (mobile) on market day and answering calls from traders
- Setting up and manning the Chatsworth Road information stall during trading hours (or liaising with volunteers if they are available) and ensuring there are stocks of materials available for the stall
- Running the Chatsworth Road Twitter account on market day by taking photos and tweeting about the traders, market goings on and things happening on the street alongside retweeting content about the market
- There is also the opportunity to be involved with the marketing and promotion of the market and other tasks if candidates are keen (although any tasks outside this role are in a voluntary capacity)
Skills / experience
- Strong organisational skills
- Reliable as the market closes for only three Sundays a year so it’s open in all weathers
- Strong interpersonal skills as you will be working alongside market traders, customers, set-up crew and the council’s market inspector
- Quick thinking – the ability to think on your feet when things need to be changed on the day
- Basic computing skills – email, Excel, Word and PowerPoint (although all documents are templates so it won’t be necessary to create any new material). You will also need access to the Internet
- Good written English (for Twitter and email communications)
- Physically able as the metal stalls and gazebos are heavy and the set-up and breakdown are physically demanding
- It is not necessary to have any experience in running a market
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with your CV and a short introduction about yourself and why you are interested in the job. If you don’t have a CV please include details on the email about your recent work experience.
Closing date: Friday 5 June